Sparkman Scholars are part of a recognized network of UAB faculty working in the areas of global health and development. This network aims to facilitate developing new collaborations with colleagues across campus, as well as making linkages with students interested in global health and development. Sparkman Scholars will have the opportunity to serve as mentors to students from among a select group of students who will apply to become Sparkman Fellows through a competitive process.
Faculty members in the field of global health and development who would like to expand their work may apply for the Sparkman Scholar designation through the application below. We hope many of you will join us in this exciting initiative!
- UAB faculty in any school
- Currently engaged in (or interested in becoming engaged in) research or practice projects in the fields of health and development (as broadly defined) outside the United States
- Willing to be listed as a resource in a Sparkman Scholars directory on the Sparkman website
- Attend Scholars meeting/seminar 4 times a year
- Be willing to present your global health and development work to the group, and to give constructive feedback to others
- Be willing to mentor stellar students interested in / engaged in global health and development topics (1-2 students per year)
For more information, faculty should contact Dr. Janet Turan.